The plaza was originally called Plaza Nueva when built in 1559. The urban architectural complex is represented by valuable colonial buildings from the XVII, XVIII and XIX centuries. It has been under restoration since the 1980's
Plaza Vieja was where the wealthy watched bullfights, executions and slave trading from the luxury of their balconies above the square. The stained glass window arches are a Cuban Colonial architectural feature.